Thursday, June 21, 2007

Second Best

Those of us with two (and three and four plus) know how hard it is for the second child sometimes. They miss out on the Wiggles because the older child doesn't want to watch them, they have to run to catch up, they get hand me down clothes, they have to watch the older child do all of the most fun fantastical things that a child could imagine. And they can't do anything about it.
Poor Vienne. I sit back and watch her grow up behind Natalya struggling, frustrated everyday. Vienne wants so badly to finish the puzzle that Sister started. Vienne wants so badly to be at the finish line at the same time as Sister. Vienne wants so badly to have the new, pretty rain boots and not the old faded ones. Like Natalya.
Most days are good. I watch from the background Natalya being the big sister that I always imagined she would be. I watch them playing the games that Vienne chooses and hear them laugh and see them smile. I remind Natalya all the time how happy it makes Vienne just to have Natalya by her side. It's hard convincing Vienne that one day it will be her time. My hugs and sweet kisses just don't compare to a scooter ride with Big Sister. At her side. Vienne may have to push a little harder to stay there, though.

And so, this brings me to Thursday's Theme- Glee. Sister+Scooter+Friends= A very happy moment for my Will-Never-Be-Second-Best. Glee at Picture This. It will make you happy.

13 comments:

m.e. said...

What a great shot -- such a wonderful perspective and use of DOF to bring your second child "into focus." I always love your photos...you've got a great eye ;-) Happy Thursday!

jenny said...

I agree---a great shot! And your words touched me, too. Very sweet.

Come on by and see my Texan kids, too! ;-)

Stacy said...

Great shot and great story surrounding the glee. I was the younger sister, too, so I know what she is going through. :)

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love this shot and the story to go with it. Perfection. You are a writer AND a photographer!

Anonymous said...

You captured my thoughts for my second child almost exactly.

Kimberly said...

The girls couldn't have been "posed" any better for this shot. I enjoyed your commentary as much as the photo. :)

Anonymous said...

A perfect shot...one of my faves today.

The words you posted could have been spoken from the perspective of my youngest (4th) son who has to try so hard in following his brothers for many reasons. Beautifully spoken post.

Christina said...

Such beautiful, heartflt words, and the perfect picture to go along with them!

natalie said...

Sooo sweet. What a great post.

Ashlea said...

Yours is my favorite shot today too.
Just perfect!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I felt every word and fear the same fate for my littlest girl, but it makes those moments when they are so proud of something so much sweeter.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shot. And I love that she's wearing rain boots. So cute!

Anonymous said...

i cannot take the cuteness. Her face, and her little leg. just everything! I agree about the younger ones. I feel so bad for my youngest too, as she watches the older ones do everything together. Then the middle child who fights with everyone because she's close to both ages, and then watches her older brother baby the baby. And the oldest, who really is the pioneer for every new thing. Growing up is hard work!! :0)
thanks for sharing such a sweet shot! And neat perspective.